Refuse, Recycling and Yard Waste
• Each residence will be provided with a 96 gallon cart and senior citizens will receive a 64 gallon cart.
• Residential rubbish is collected once a week from the front curb of each residence. For a pick-up schedule map click here
• Rubbish should be placed at the curb no more than 24 hours prior to your normal pick up schedule.
• Yard waste must be put in biodegradable bags only and no bag may exceed 50 lbs.
If your pick up date falls on a legal holiday, pick up will be made on the following day (including Saturdays). The observed holidays are: Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
A 64 gallon recycling toter will be provided to each home at no charge. Items to be recycled include newspapers, glass bottles and jars, tin and aluminum cans, plastic and cardboard. Recycling bins will be picked up on your normal garbage day. In addition, Waste Management will pick up freezers, refrigerators, air conditioners, ranges, washers, dryers, microwaves, etc. There is no additional charge for this service but you must contact Waste Management prior to putting out any large items. Yard Waste toters are available for rent by calling Waste Management. Residents can contact Waste Management at (815) 725-4200. For a waste management brochure click here.
Clean Up Week
Clean up week is held twice a year, once in the fall and once in the spring. This program is for Romeoville Residents only. Garbage pick-up will be on your regular scheduled day with unlimited pick-up of large items. No tires, hazardous waste or construction materials will be taken. Please do not include regular garbage with your grass clippings. (Grass clippings must be in kraft- biodegradable bags or an approved container). Tree chipper service will be available (no appointment necessary).
• Yard Waste pick-up begins April 1st.
• Yard Waste must be placed in kraft paper bags, which can be purchased at local retail stores.
• Small quantities of sod will be collected provided its placed in kraft bags and each bag is only 1/3 full. Up to 6 bags will be accepted per week.
REMEMBER: A healthy lawn needs its clippings- please mulch whenever possible. Mulching is recycling.
Do not rake leaves into the street or put them in plastic bags. Leaves must be put in Kraft yard waste bags for disposal. All landscape waste must either be bundled or placed in yard waste bags.
Tree Trimming & Chipper Service (April 1st through November 30th)
Please contact Public Works at (815) 886-1870 to schedule a pick up request.
• Brush and branches must measure between three and eight feet in length and may be up to six inches in diameter.
• Brush must be stacked on the parkway in front of the home with the cut ends toward the street.
• Branches for the chipper will be picked up on the same day as your regular garbage service, or as soon as possible thereafter. (April 1st - November 30th). All branches must be placed in the parkway prior to 7am on the day of your garbage service.
• The Village is not able to trim trees or remove branches from any private property areas.
• The Village does have a program of trimming parkway trees. If you know of a tree that is blocking view of a stop sign or traffic signal and needs immediate attention, please contact the Public Works Department at (815) 886-1870.
• Any branch chipping requests outside of the above dates please contact Public Works at (815) 886-1870 prior to placing the branches in the parkway and we will schedule the pickup, weather permitting.
- Computers (including tablet computers)
- Electronic Keyboards
- Facsimile Machines
- Videocassette Recorders
- Portable Digital Music Plavers
- Digital Video Disc Players
- Video Game Consoles
- Small Scale Servers
- Electronic Mice
- Digital Converter Boxes
- Cable Receivers
- Satellite Receivers
- Digital Video Disc Recorders
Electronic Recycling Center
195 South Budler Road
Hours of Operation
6:00pm - 8:00pm
of the Month
11:00am - 3:00pm
For a full list of items that can be recycled at the center click here.
Will County Green Electronic Recycling
As of April 1, 2011, Will County's contractor, Vintage Tech, began offering free, convenient "Front-Door" collection service for residential electronics in a large portion of Will County. As the year progressed, the service area expanded to cover all of Will County. This is a three-year "Pilot Program" with funding from electronic manufacturers thanks to the Illinois Electronic Products Recycling and Reuse Act.
To schedule a pick-up from your front door, please contact our contractor, Vintage Tech Recyclers. This may be done by telephone or through e-mail.
Call: (866) 631-1707 Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:00pm
Please include your name, address and telephone number Please provide a type and number of each electronic item
There is a limit of ten items per collection. If you accumulate more items, additional pick-ups may be scheduled at that time. For more detail, please click to visit our contractor's website.
Hazardous Waste Program
The Village of Romeoville participates in a regional program for the discarding of unwanted household chemicals, batteries, paint and other hazardous waste. All Illinois residents may drop off waste materials at 156 Fort Hill Drive, just north of the Department of Public Works building at Fort Hill Drive and Jefferson Avenue in Naperville. It will operate on Saturdays and Sundays, from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., excluding holidays. Materials may not be dropped off outside these posted hours.
Household hazardous waste items are materials purchased for cleaning or maintaining a home. Business waste is not accepted. Household hazardous waste is no longer collected at Fire Station No. 4.
If you have questions about the City’s household hazardous waste collection program, please call the Naperville Department of Public Works at (630) 420-6095, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Accepted items include:
- Household cleaners, drain openers
- Paints (oil based only)
- Mineral spirits, strippers, solvents
- Insecticides, herbicides
- Flammables, automotive fluids
- Fluorescent fixtures
- Household batteries
- Unknown hazardous substances
- Explosives, Ammunition
- Radioactive materials
- Compressed gas
- Latex Paint
- Trash and non-hazardous materials
- Unopened, useable consumer products
Tightly seal lid of usable latex paint and store in an area where it will not freeze. The paint will remain usable for many years if stored properly. Empty paint cans may be dried out (with a thin skin of dried paint on the interior of the can) and recycled in the curbside recycling program. After using up the paint, allow the residue to dry by leaving the lid off. Keep the lid off when placing the can in the recycling bin, so the driver can see that the can is empty and dry. Large quantities of left over latex paint may be dried out and discarded. Use an absorbent such cat litter, mulched corn cob, saw dust or oil dry. Place the can and the dried material in the garbage. Leave the lid off of the can when placing in the garbage; the driver will only pick up the can if he can tell that it is dry.