How can carbon monoxide harm me?
Carbon monoxide affects what you need the most to survive - oxygen. The carbon monoxide bonds with your oxygen-carrying blood cells (hemoglobin) and takes the place of oxygen. When this happens it can cause you to get very ill. Carbon monoxide poisoning produces flu-like symptoms, such as headaches, fatigue, nausea, dizzy spells, confusion and irritability. As the amount of carbon monoxide increases you can begin to have any of the following:
- Vomiting
- Loss of consciousness
- Eventually brain damage or death

Victims exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide can become seriously ill or die under 15 minutes!

Show All Answers

1. What is carbon monoxide?
2. How can carbon monoxide harm me?
3. Where does carbon monoxide come from?
4. Where should you install the carbon monoxide alarm(s)?